- Before you can begin adding data in OpenStreetMap you must register as an editor. In the upper-right corner of the web page click the small blue link that says “Sign up”.
- Choose a username and enter an email address. This user name will allow your edits to be saved and other editors to contact you.
- Please read and accept the terms and conditions. The license for OpenStreetMap (ODBL) allows your contributions to the map to be used by others.
- Once you receive a confirmation email, log into OpenStreetMap.
- Once logged in zoom into your neighborhood.
- Click the edit tab and the IDeditor will start.
- Once ID starts you will be able to add a point to the map. By default you will see an Aerial Image of your area. Locate something you want to add. Possibly that will be your house or a local business.
- Select Point on the interface and click on the map.
- Once you add a point select a menu item to the left and fill out it’s description!
- Click the save button and write a small description of your edit.
You have added a point to OpenStreetMap!