- Software: 3.x
- Operating System: Windows 7, Linux, Mac
1. Open QGIS.
2. This link: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/services/ Contains a list of WMS/WMTS/REST services produced by the National Map. IN the cases below I selected a WMTS service located under “Other Data” called Scanned Topo Maps from USA Topo.
3. Find a service you would like to use. The service might be WMS/WMTS/WCS/wfs.
4. Clicking the WMS/WMTS link Should provide a URL comparable to: https://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/USGSImageryTopo/MapServer/WMTS/1.0.0/WMTSCapabilities.xml. Copy this URL from your browser.
5. Click on the data source manager and select the appropriate menu.
6. Click New and Name this service and paste the URL that you received from step 4 into the menu (assuming you have clicked a WMS/WMTS) service
7. Click OK
8. Going back to the layers settings – select the name of the service you just created.
8. Click connect.
10. Select an appropriate layer of the service. In this case I will select the first line. Select and Click Add at the bottom of the Menu.
11. Add some reference data to your QGIS session and zoom to that area.