QGIS: Current Versions
OS: Windows, OSX, Linux
You have photographs or other documents stored in a field in a shapefile or other format. You want to click on the feature and open the document. In this example we will be referencing a shapefile with a field doc that has a path to a pdf – c:\data\document.pdf
1. Open QGIS and add your data to QGIS.
2. Right click on your layer and select Properties and go to Actions
3. Add an Action by pressing the green + button
4. Select Open for the type. Insert the field where your file is located. In my case for Windows 10 you will see:
If you are on Linux I generally list the program that I use to open the document. So for Ubuntu you will see:
5. Click OK until you are at the main interface. Select Open file from the Action Icon on the main interface and click on your feature.
Practice adding actions. You can create python programs or use existing programs to open files.