So almost a year ago to the month I wrote about the somewhat convoluted process on generating a GeoPDFÂ in QGIS. In short:
- Made a change in map composer to make a georeferenced tif
- Defined the projection of the tif
- Converted the tif to a pdf
Today I discovered in 2.18.1 – it works. You just export a PDF. I was preparing the execute the process that started the blog article from a year ago and stumbled upon “hey it works now”. So I can toss all that other stuff out and just go back to exporting a pdf.
I dumped on out and checked it with gdalinfo test.pdfÂ
Driver: PDF/Geospatial PDF
Size is 1650, 1275
Coordinate System is:
PROJCS[“NAD83 / Tennessee (ftUS)”,
Granted it’s not a TerraGo Geopdf (with all the coolness that happens there) but it does work and can be loaded into various PDF viewing applications.
I know this is a bit late as 2.18.1 has been out for a bit. I’ve actually been a bit busier than normal and hadn’t talked about all the goodies built into Las Palmas. Don’t take that as “Well he’s unimpressed” – actually it’s been really nice and easy to work with.
A few weeks ago I found a job is restarting I had worked on a few years ago. I get to experience round 2 and it was on that initial job I had made the reluctant jump to QGIS – and I think that version was 1.7.3. I remember going “It works…mostly” and here I sit almost 3 or 4 years later and it’s all I’m using. It started me down the road to a QGIS class and other stuff that has happened with myself and work. Anyway – enough nostalgia for today. Export a PDF and enjoy the geo portion of it.