- Software: QGIS 1.7.4 through 2.14
- Operating System: Windows 7, Linux, Mac
1. Open QGIS.
2. This link: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/services/ Contains a list of WMS/WMTS/REST services produced by the National Map. IN the cases below I selected a WMTS service located under “Other Data” called Scanned Topo Maps from USA Topo.
3. Find a service you would like to use. The service might be WMS/WMTS/WCS.
4. Clicking the WMS/WMTS link Should provide a URL comparable to: http://raster.nationalmap.gov/ArcGIS/services/DRG/TNM_Digital_Raster_Graphics/MapServer/WMSServer?request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS . Copy this URL from your browser.
5. Click on the WMS/WMTS/WCS Icon in QGIS
6. If you click the WMTS icon The following menu will appear:
7. Click New and Name this service and paste the URL that you received from step 4 into the menu (assuming you have clicked a WMS/WMTS) service
8. Click OK
9. Make sure the service you just added appears in the pull down list and click connect.
10. Select an appropriate “title” of data and Click add.
11. Add some reference data to your QGIS session and zoom to that area. There should be Topopgraphic data in your map view.