Yes – if you are a student – show up.
October 8, 2014, 8:30am-3:00pm
Classic Center-Athena Room J
200 North Thomas St, Athens, GA 30601
If you are currently an enrolled college student in Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, or Kentucky and have applied geospatial solutions to your coursework, you may be eligible to win $$$ by presenting your hard work in front of our select judges of Past Presidents and GIS and Remote Sensing Professionals!!! Submit abstracts to compete for prize money in separate undergraduate and graduate competitions. We are also hosting a map gallery at the conference, please submit your maps to enter to win under the student category!
- 8:30-10:00 Undergraduate Student Presentations
- 10:30 -12:00 Graduate Student Presentations
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch/networking
- 1:00-3:30 Mapping Your Way Into a GIS Career (see description below)
- 4:00-4:30 Closing Remarks and Awards
Awards and Benefits
- Graduate and Undergraduate divisions with cash rewards for each division $500 for 1st, $250 for 2nd, and $125 for 3rd.
- Award Certificate and recognition on the Georgia URISA and Midsouth ASPRS Website
- All awards come with a free year membership to GAURISA and Midsouth ASPRS
- Presentations will be featured in the URISA Journal “The GIS Profesional” and the GAURISA newsletter
- Earn Points towards your GISP certification
- Presenters will be showing research projects in front of potential employers
- Submission Requirements:
- Must be the original work of the Student
- Only one submission per Student
- Presentations must relate to Geography, Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry, GIS or a related field as applied to a professional field
- Presenter must be registered as an attendee at conference
Conference Registration Instructions
To register for this event click here and complete the registration form. Please complete your Registration by September 15th. You will be notified of your selection status by September 24th. If you have questions on the registration process, please contact: Wendy Peloquin, Georgia URISA Events Chair, or contact John Hudler, Georgia URISA Education Chair.
Showcase a map, poster, or plat at the Map Gallery for another opportunity to demonstrate your cartographic abilities in front of potential employers, earn points towards professional certification and possibly win Best Map/Poster Cartographic Design in the Student Category.
Mapping Your Way Into a GIS Career – A Panel for Students/Young Professionals
This session will introduce students to the Geospatial Industry. Several career paths will be highlighted, including the skills required for entry- and mid-level positions. It will also give advice on creating effective resumes and portfolios, as well as proper etiquette and tips for a successful interview.
- Introduction to the Geospatial Industry
- Skills Required for Entry and Mid-Level Positions within these Industries
- Building a Resume and Portfolio
- Etiquette and Tips for a Successful Interview
Potential Highlighted Geospatial Industries:
- GIS Consulting Firm / Private Industry
- State/Local/Federal Government
- Aerial Photography/Remote Sensing
- Software Sales and Marketing
Social Media Connections: Look for us on Facebook and LinkedIn at ‘Georgia URISA’ …We’ll be posting updates and presentation tips to help you out!