It’s actually happening.
Updates will happen here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Knoxfoss4g20170519
With the Raleigh FOSS4GNA Meeting there’s been an “uptick” on people talking about FOSS4G around the area. It goes something like this:
- “What’s the free stuff you’ve been talking about.”
- “Does that freeware actually work?”
- “I dunno man – like – we ain’t got time to use the free stuff. It looks good. But we’re solid <software vendor here>”.
The discussion of “Could we do something FOSS4Gish at ETSU?” started the discussion. Then there was more talking. Right before the holidays it got a bit noisier. I had the chance to talk to the good people at UTK and we’ve got a donated facility. Today’s phone call solidified the plan enough for me to announce it.
Plant Biotech Building
UT Ag Campus
2505 EJ Chapman Dr
Knoxville, TN 37996
Date: May 19th 2017
What do I want? Besides a free pony and a kitten?
- If you have something that you’re working on with FOSS4G software or a mixed environment of FOSS4G and Commercial – come present!
- If you’re curious on how this all works ? Come to the meeting.
- If you want to talk about new software coming out or how the FOSS4G Community works – Come on.
- You want to meet people using FOSS4G software – Now is your chance.
What are we probably going to need?
- Sponsors. We have three so far. It’s not a grand amount either – just something to help defray the cost. We’ll yell your name in front of everyone.
Anyway – more news as it comes available. We aren’t ready for people to register yet. We aren’t ready for people to submit presentations currently – but we will be soon.
I want people there and talking. If nothing more show up and make a friend or three. Who knows – this might be the start of something awesome.